Thursday 7 May 2015

Treating acne and blemishes







If you're reading this I imagine you have tried everything you possibly can to obtain clear skin. I know I have! I struggled for years with teenage acne and then in my mid to late twenties, adult acne. Over the years I have tried all sorts of lotions and potions, from expensive facials, DIY masks and scrubs to toothpaste and Olbas oil (DO NOT try at home) to combat my problematic skin.
I am not claiming to be an expert in this field, just an expert in my own skin and it's flare ups.
I now think I understand a little more about how my skin works and how to treat it, so I thought I would share my current skincare routine.
I should state that I don't really have active acne at the moment, just blemishes (I will be writing a post on this very soon) but I still strive for flawless skin. I just wish I had discovered these products earlier.

I obviously realise that some of these products may not work for everyone, however, I am really pleased with the results of them on my skin.

I am currently using the Yes to blueberries cleanser, morning and night. I've been using this for around 3 months now. It's really gentle, never breaks me out and my skin doesn't feel stripped. I then use Effaclar duo as a treatment before my moisturiser. When I have had a break from this product I have really missed it and I always see results in 3 -4 days of coming back to it. It is an absolute skin saviour if you have a breakout.
I am using Hydraphase Intense as a moisturiser at the moment. Again, it's really gentle, non - greasy and hydrating. My skin feels plumper but without feeling oily. It's also SPF 20!
At night, I take my make up off with Coconut oil (will do another post on this alone soon). Lovely product, takes make up off really efficiently, even waterproof mascara!
I then second cleanse (always) with Yes to blueberries cleanser to clean my skin. Check out the 'skin queen' Caroline Hirons' thoughts on a double cleanse below:
http://www.carolinehirons.com/search?q=double+cleanse

I've just started using Avene TriAcneal in the evening as a treatment after cleansing. It contains retinol - so I would recommend doing some research before trying this product. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks so the jury is still out. However, it instantly makes my skin feel smoother and seems to be helping with some of the old acne scarring.
I then use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair as a serum over this. I love this product - my skin looks clearer and more even in tone by the morning. I follow this with the Hydraphase Intense moisturiser.
If I have any active breakouts, I then use Dermalogica overnight clearing gel. This seems to reduce any breakouts in size by the morning.

So this is my, probably quite lengthy, skin regime. Although this sounds a lot it does seem to work for my skin at the moment. If I get any breakouts which I think are quite bad then I usually take out the Estee Lauder serum and probably now the TriAcneal as I think my skin appreciates less products at that time. I used really harsh products for years and years to try and get my skin under control, but I really wish I had turned to something calmer much earlier. My skin never hurts now, I always use gentle products and I have less problems with my skin. I do occasionally add in the odd mask or exfoliating toner if my skin is looking a little dull but I try not to do this too often.
I hope this post has helped some of you struggling with your skin. If you are unhappy, I would recommend talking to your GP and requesting to see a Dermatologist. I will talk about my experience with this very soon.


Morning:

Cleanser: Yes to blueberries - Smoothing Daily Cleanser
http://www.boots.com/en/Yes-to-Blueberries-Smoothing-Daily-Cleanser-125ml-for-Fine-Lines-Wrinkles_1457213/

Serum/Treatment: La Roche - Posay - Effaclar Duo (+)
http://www.boots.com/en/La-Roche-Posay-Effaclar-Duo--anti-blemish-cream_1440758/


Moisturiser: La Roche - Posay - Hydraphase UV Intense Legere
http://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/?search=hydraphase+intense


Night:

Cleanser: Pukka Virgin Coconut Oil and Yes to blueberries - Smoothing Daily Cleanser
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pukka-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Oil/dp/B003NWDQIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431008600&sr=8-1&keywords=pukka+coconut+oil

Treatment: Avene TriAcneal
http://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/?search=avene+triacneal

Serum: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
http://www.boots.com/en/Estee-Lauder/Skincare/New-Improved-Advanced-Night-Repair/

Moisturiser: La Roche - Posay - Hydraphase UV Intense Legere

Spot treatment: Dermalogica Overnight clearing gel
http://www.johnandginger.co.uk/dermalogica-overnight-clearing-gel-50ml.html


I recently bought some of the French pharmacy products from this site. I only used it once but it seemed very efficient- amazing prices too!
http://www.cocooncenter.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment