Tuesday 12 May 2015

My experience with Roaccutane

Before you read this, you must be aware that this product is not for everyone and I am not endorsing this product in any way. I'm just sharing my story.
After battling with acne for a long time, two and a half years ago I decided to change my life. After my sister was prescribed Roaccutane (isotretinoin) for her acne and the results were incredible, I set off to my GP.
At the time I had cystic acne around my jaw line and chin. I had tried everything. I bought dozens of products weekly and my bank balance, along with my face was suffering.

I went to the doctor and pushed for her to refer me to a dermatologist - I was so pleased when she agreed. I knew this was the start of my skin recovery.
I had to go to the hospital to see the dermatologist and after a very detailed consultation about the risks/dangers with this product, she told me that I could have a 4 month course of Roaccutane and that I should get a very good result.
I began taking this almost immediately, having to take pregnancy tests and blood tests each time I visited the hospital. (Please see links below for more information on this)
I did suffer for quite bad headaches, tiredness and a little muscle ache over the 4 months and my lips were incredibly dry and painful. No amount of Eight hour cream would suffice. However, I was definitely expecting to feel much worse than this as I had been told that it can cause depression in patients and this was something that really worried me. Although I hoped that once my skin started improving my self esteem growing would out weigh this.
I started seeing results in my skin as early as one month in, I was absolutely amazed how quickly this happened. I was getting less and less active breakouts.
 
After around two months I didn't really have any spots and my skin tone was much more even. Around month three I noticed a difference in the pigmentation I had got from acne and sun damage, this was disappearing and so too were any fine lines I had around my eyes.

I finished the course of Roaccutane at four months and felt more confident than ever before. Finally I could go out without any make up on if I wanted to. I didn't have to think about how long it was going to take me to get ready - to cover my face in make up. It was such an amazing feeling and I was able to start being me.

Two and a half years on and acne is definitely a thing of the past. I still get the odd blemish - but those of you with acne will know that this is very different. I've had a baby in the last year and generally my skin has been really manageable, despite many hormonal ups and downs. I'm so pleased that I took this step for myself as it really did change the way I feel about myself and my outlook on life. In many ways I wish I had found it earlier instead of struggling on but I think I appreciate this all so much more now.

It might sound ridiculous to some people to be so hung up on your skin but this issue really was affecting my everyday life, my worries and concerns all centred around my confidence and the way I felt about myself.

Roaccutane might not be for everyone, it might be too harsh a step for your skin. It might be too big a risk for some people, depending on their family history. But it worked for me. If you have tried everything in the way of skincare and diet to help your skin, perhaps an appointment with your GP is the next step! Even if it's just to talk through some other options. 

Links below to a few websites for more information:
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Acne&medicine=Roaccutane&preparationRoaccutane%2020mg%20capsules
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-hair/medicines/roaccutane.html

No comments:

Post a Comment